In 1947, James William Archibald Cubitt set up an architectural practice in London with 3 partners; Fello Atkinson, Stefan Buzas and Dick Maitland. All of whom were recent graduates of the Architectural Association School of Architecture.
In 1958, an office was established in Lagos. It is a subsidiary of JCP London and was started by John Baker. In 1959 Dick Maitland retired from the practice.
From the outset James Cubitt & Partners drew on their acquired knowledge of tropical countries, designing several schools and colleges in Ghana between 1951 and 1954. The practice rapidly gained a pioneering reputation in this field and, after designing some schools in Sowerby Bridge and Pontefract, Yorkshire (1954-7), it was appointed to plan the University of Nigeria at Nsukka.
Further work was undertaken in the UK, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Libya, Iraq, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Sabah. In some cases new partnerships were formed; with Leonard Manasseh in Singapore, with Kenneth Scott in Ghana and with the Madhloom brothers in Iraq.